[Samba] AIX: TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for +: '_hashlib.HASH' and 'str'

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jan 3 21:50:07 MST 2013

On Fri, 2013-01-04 at 01:04 +0000, Benjamin Huntsman wrote:
> Hi there!
>    We're trying to compile Samba 4.0.0 on a fresh install of AIX 6.1 (6100-02-01-0847), with Python RPM's from perzl.org installed into /opt/freeware.  We're also using XLC 12.1.
>
> Unfortunately, we can't even run ./configure, as we're getting errors from the waf system.  Here's what we get:
>
> bash-4.2# pwd
> /admin/tst/build/samba-4.0.0
> bash-4.2# ./configure --help
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./buildtools/bin/waf", line 75, in <module>
>     import Scripting
>   File "/admin/tst/build/samba-4.0.0/buildtools/wafadmin/Scripting.py", line 9, in <module>
>     import Utils, Configure, Build, Logs, Options, Environment, Task
>   File "/admin/tst/build/samba-4.0.0/buildtools/wafadmin/Utils.py", line 134, in <module>
>     from hashlib import md5
>   File "/opt/freeware/lib/python2.6/hashlib.py", line 117, in <module>
>     exec funcName + ' = f'
> TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for +: '_hashlib.HASH' and 'str'
> bash-4.2#
>
> Python was installed just for this purpose, but otherwise we don't deal with it much.  I'd like to be able to build as many of the Samba 4.0 features as possible, so I don't want to revert to the old toolchain, but I'm under a deadline of ~1 week, so I'll try that next if I can't get the waf system to work.
> Anyone have any insight as to what we might be hanging up on?
>
> Many many thanks in advance!!

I think the next step is to change your python install to something as
close to the upstream python as possible.  We supply an
'install_with_python.sh' script which installs a (now old) but known
working version, but you should also have reasonable luck with just the
current python 2.7

http://python.org/download/releases/2.7.3/

Andrew Bartlett