[Samba] Client access multiple shares with different usernames...

Wolfgang Ratzka ratzka at HRZ.Uni-Marburg.DE
Thu Jan 3 13:37:45 MST 2013

Am 03.01.2013 21:12, schrieb Modulok:
> List,
>
> I have a FreeBSD box with samba and two shares '\\bsd\foo' and '\\bsd\bar'.
> Each require a different password. (Different system user accounts and
> different corresponding samba account.) They both work. The problem is that
> from Windows 7 and windowsXP clients I can connect to '\\bsd\foo', but then I
> can never connect to '\\bsd\bar' until I restart. Thereafter I can never
> connect to '\\bsd\foo' until I restart... and so on.
>
> Is there a way I can connect to multiple shares from the same client, using
> different authentication for each share? For example, if I could put a username
> in a UNC path that would solve everything:

This is a limitation in Windows clients and not really a Samba issue.
(People accessing shares on Windows servers face the same problem.)
Basically the client can only handle one user name per server name.
AFAIK there is no elegant workaround for this.

One solution is to access one share via the NetBIOS name and the other
via a DNS name (e.g. using \\bsd.some.domain\bar) or even the IP
address.

Another solution would be adding NetBIOS aliases to the server and
accessing different shares with different authentication via
different aliases.

Kind regards
Wolfgang Ratzka