[Samba] Samba4 AD DC Sites / Rename Default-First-Site-Name and internal DNS

Achim Gottinger achim at ag-web.biz
Tue Jan 1 05:06:25 MST 2013

Am 30.12.2012 02:03, schrieb Andrew Bartlett:
> On Sat, 2012-12-29 at 13:38 +0100, Achim Gottinger wrote:
>
> _ldap._tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._sites.gsg.local SRV site1.gsg.local
> _kerberos._tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._sites.gsg.local SRV site1.gsg.local
> _gc._tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._sites.gsg.local SRV site1.gsg.local
> _ldap._tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._sites.gc._msdcs.gsg.local SRV site1.gsg.local
> _ldap._tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._sites.dc._msdcs.gsg.local SRV site1.gsg.local
> _kerberos._tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._sites.dc._msdcs.gsg.local SRV site1.gsg.local
>
> So there are no more (visible) entries left in
>
> Default-First-Site-Name._sites.gsg.local
> Default-First-Site-Name._sites.gc._msdcs.gsg.local
> Default-First-Site-Name._sites.dc._msdcs.gsg.local
>
> But the structure remains an can not be deleted. (things like
> _tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._sites.gsg.local). Things still seem to
> work at both sites but i'm curious if these leftovers can be completely
> removed.
> As you have noticed, we are very good at adding DNS records, but never
> remove the old ones.  What you have done seems reasonable, if you have
> renamed the site, removing the remaining DNS references seems entirely
> reasonable.
>
> Please file a bug about the left-behind DNS stuff, we really should
> clean that up.
>
> Andrew Bartlett

Well after some time and samba restarts the left over structure elements
had disappeared.
Had to remove two records with samba-tools because they could not be
accessed from the MS DNS Snapin.

samba-tool dns delete localhost gsg.local
"_ldap._tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._sites.DomainDnsZones.gsg.local" SRV
"server-site1.gsg.local. 389 0 100"
samba-tool dns delete localhost gsg.local
"_ldap._tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._sites.ForestDnsZones.gsg.local" SRV
"server-site1.gsg.local. 389 0 100"

Afterwards all appearances of Default-First-Site-Name disappeared.

There remains however still an issue with the site dependant SRV records
on an server. If a server is moved to another site or an site gets
renamed. The old SRV records for that server/site remain.

Achim Gottinger