[Samba] Samba Server Under Microsoft Windows Network

Bruce Stern sternb at comcast.net
Mon Feb 11 19:56:06 MST 2013

I am having a somewhat similar problem and would appreciate anyone's help.

System: Newly installed Fedora 18

Installed Samba Client in order to use a shared printer on another Linux
box. This worked great once the client was installed.

Want to use the F18 box as a simple file server. Tried to configure
smb.conf and set up the shares I wanted.Could not see the F18 box at all
from any other boxes on my network.

Added netbios name to the smb.conf and no change.

Started nmbd -D and now can see the correctly named F18 box from other
computers, but cannot access any of the shares.

Shares can be accessed from the Browse Network feature within the F18
box and look to be correctly set up.

How do I enable the F18 box to share the folders below just the name to
other computers?

On a Win7 PC I get an Error code: 0x80070035, The network path was not
found. I can, however, ping the F18 box by name with no problem.

Best,

Bruce