[Samba] samba4 PDC to BDC file replication

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Thu Feb 28 22:13:39 MST 2013

CW> I have built two samba4 boxes, one as a PDC and the as a DC, all working
CW> perfectly. If I create a user through the mmc snapin then turn off the PDC,
CW> I can still login to the domain using the DC which is great. The problem is
CW> their files and ntfs permissions on BDC.

CW> I have assigned user and group rights using windows explorer to certain
CW> folders, i.e granted user1 full permissions to that folder

CW> The problem I have is trying to replicate/snc the users data/files from PDC
CW> to DC whilst keeping the NTFS permissions that have been set. Rysnc doesnt
CW> seem to keep the ntfs permissions

CW> The reason for this is if the PDC goes down, user logs on using the DC and
CW> can access their files which have retained their files and permissions.

CW> Is there some way to achieve this?

I'm in the same boat, and I'm only aware of two possibilities.

1) Robocopy - using a Windows client.
   BUT Robocopy doesn't do file deltas - changed files are copied in
   their entirety. Which isn't a problem if you don't have large
   files. But if you've got a 10G file that changes often, then this
   probably isn't the best alternative.

2) http://www.bvckup.com/support/ [Bvckup]
   This also appears to be a Windows utility, but does handle file
   delta's. I have never used this tool and so can't vouch for it in any
   way.

If you find a functional solution, that preferably can be used on the
two Linux/Samba boxes to do file-deltas and still maintain the
permissions - that would be best.

One other option that might work:
Rsync the data, and use robocopy to simply duplicate the permissions
structure. [I believe this is possible.]

This last idea sounds bat$hit insane - but hey, it might actually work
reasonably well. :)

-Greg