[Samba] SAMBA Slow down on clients?

Joseph, Matthew (EXP) matthew.joseph at lmco.com
Wed Feb 27 12:01:22 MST 2013

Hello,

I have a Red Hat 5.3 NFS server that I started using Samba version 3.0.33-3.7 on it for network file sharing.
I use to use the basic file sharing with no issues other than permissions so I wanted to use Samba for easy permission management.
This server is sharing 4 different mount points.

I switched over my 4 clients to mount the Samba mount points.
After I did this one server (which runs svn) started to slow down to a near halt (ps -ef would take 5+ minutes to print). The other 3 servers are running a bit slower but nothing compared to the other server.
I ran top and the system resources are fine.
The NFS server is also having no issues at all.

I reverted back to the original way I was sharing files and now everything is working fine again.

Has anyone had any issues with Samba like this? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Matt