[Samba] CIFS Mount Obeying ACLs

Andrew Martin amartin at xes-inc.com
Tue Feb 26 17:03:54 MST 2013

Hello,

I have configured a Samba 3 fileserver (on Ubuntu 12.04) joined to a Samba 4.0.3 (AD) domain. I have configured a number of ACLs for restricting access to directories on the share, which works well when accessing the share from Windows. However, mounting the share from another Linux machine (Ubuntu 12.04) using CIFS does not appear to obey the ACLs (e.g. a user can access files that they should not have permission to access). Checking the kernel, I can see that CONFIG_CIFS_POSIX, CONFIG_CIFS_ACL and CONFIG_CIFS_XATTR are enabled:
CONFIG_CIFS=m
CONFIG_CIFS_STATS=y
# CONFIG_CIFS_STATS2 is not set
CONFIG_CIFS_WEAK_PW_HASH=y
CONFIG_CIFS_UPCALL=y
CONFIG_CIFS_XATTR=y
CONFIG_CIFS_POSIX=y
# CONFIG_CIFS_DEBUG2 is not set
CONFIG_CIFS_DFS_UPCALL=y
CONFIG_CIFS_FSCACHE=y
CONFIG_CIFS_ACL=y

Any ideas on why the CIFS mount will not obey the ACLs?

Thanks,

Andrew