[Samba] smb2 vs. NT1

Papp Tamas tompos at martos.bme.hu
Mon Feb 25 12:35:26 MST 2013

On 02/25/2013 07:29 PM, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 09:38:51AM +0100, Papp Tamas wrote:
>> hi All,
>>

>> We have a glusterfs cluster with 5 nodes on Ubuntu 12.04 amd64.
>> We use this smb.conf:
>>
>> [global]
>> 	socket options =  IPTOS_THROUGHPUT TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=131072 SO_RCVBUF=131072
>
> Remove the above line. It's pure voodoo. Don't second
> guess the kernel w.r.t. socket options.

It seems, you're right. However in this case the documentation in default smb.conf is wrong.

# Most people will find that this option gives better performance.
# See smb.conf(5) and /usr/share/doc/samba-doc/htmldocs/Samba3-HOWTO/speed.html
# for details
# You may want to add the following on a Linux system:
#         SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
#   socket options = TCP_NODELAY

Now this is the config:

[global]
	read raw = yes
	server string = %h
	write raw = yes
	max xmit = 131072
	dead time = 15
	getwd cache = yes
	use sendfile=yes
	block size = 131072
	load printers = no
	wins support = no
	local master = no
	wins server = 192.168.3.7
	veto files = /.AppleDouble/
	delete veto files = yes
	hide dot files = yes
	printing = BSD
	max protocol = SMB2
	min protocol = SMB2

[projects]
	path = /W/Projects
	browseable = yes
	public = yes
	guest ok = yes
	read only = no
	force user = user
	force group = user

And it's much better now:)

> That will be due to the async requests that the Windows SMB2
> redirector uses much more than the SMB1 redirector.
>
>> This is from man page:
>>
>> NT1: Current up to date version of the protocol. Used by Windows NT. Known as CIFS.
>> SMB2: Re-implementation of the SMB protocol. Used by Windows Vista
>> and newer. The Samba implementation of SMB2 is currently marked
>> experimental!
>
> SMB2 in Samba is fully supported from Samba 3.6.0 onwards.
> It was "experimental" (read, didn't really work :-) in
> 3.5.x and below.

OK, thanks for the answer and thanks so much for the tuning tips.
Every single samba tuning guide starts with that options!

Cheers,
tamas