[Samba] NXDOMAIN dual-stacked, Samba4/Samba 3 AD setup

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 20:14:27 MST 2013

On my network, I'm finding that if I run

    host saffron

on any machine on my network, I see saffron's IPv4 address, but not
its IPv6 address. This is true regardless of which joined machine I
run. I'd like to figure out how to fix this...

For any other machine on the network,

    host $hostname

shows both that machine's IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. (With the odd
exception of Wash's proto41 tunnel addresses)

(I'm not presently using Samba/AD for *anything* except DNS
management; that's its biggest draw for me right now. I'll move on to
testing account management and file sharing later. Right now, though,
it's looking extremely promising for dynamic DNS management in a
dual-stacked environment!)

Here's a basic overview of my network so far:

Kaylee:
* Gentoo.
* Running Samba 4.0.3.
** AD Domain controller.
* One NIC
** One IPv4 address
** One IPv6 address
* Resolv.conf:
# Generated by net-scripts for interface eth0
domain firefly.michael.mol.name
nameserver (kaylee's IPv4 address)
nameserver 8.8.8.8

Wash:
* Debian
* Network router
* Running Samba 3.5.6~dfsg-3squeeze9
** Domain member
* Running bind9 9.7.3.dfsg-1~squeeze8
** Forwards home zone to Kaylee
** Forwards another domain's zone to relevant server on another network
* Three NICs
** "wan"
*** One IPv4 address
** "wifilan"
*** One IPv4 address
*** One IPv6 address
** "wiredlan"
*** One IPv4 address
*** One IPv6 address
* One proto41 tunnel tunneling IPv6 over IPv4 from tunnelbroker.net
** One IPv6 address
* Resolv.conf:
domain firefly.michael.mol.name
search firefly.michael.mol.name
nameserver (Kaylee's IPv4 address)
nameserver 127.0.0.1

Saffron:
* Gentoo
* Running Samba 3.6.12
** Domain member
* One NIC
** One IPv4 address
** One IPv6 address
* One TSP tunnel tunneling IPv6 over IPv4 from freenet6.
** One IPv6 address
* resolv.conf:
# Generated by NetworkManager
domain firefly.michael.mol.name