[Samba] samba_upgradeprovision and msDS-SupportedEncryptionTypes / msDS-NcType

Dominic Evans oldmanuk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 06:12:21 MST 2013

On 22 February 2013 11:48, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
> Indeed, if the domain originally came from windows, then
> upgradeprovision should NOT be run.  Indeed, I would have hoped that the
> tool would detect this and would not attempt an upgrade, but clearly
> this fails.

Ah. It might be worth adding something in the release notes to make
this clear. I imagine a lot of new Samba4 users have migrated from
Windows Server DCs and similarly may not have realised that
upgradeprovision isn't a generic version-to-version migration step.

> A backup was made before the upgradeprovision process, and I hope you
> tool your own backup.  Please revert to one of these backups, file a bug
> along these lines and do not use this tool until I can add more safety
> checks.

I did take my own backup beforehand. However, my domain does appear to
be running perfectly fine at the moment. I've not had any issues from
users. We did initially lose some manually added DNS entries, but
these were easy to add back in. The rest of the DNS was re-populated
by the computers themselves anyway. We don't really use the domain for
anything much beyond allowing users to logon to any machine in the
network with their individual username+password, and allowing
Administrators full remote access to the machines as well. So I'm
happy to just continue with it in the current state and see how it
goes.