[Samba] Question marks, asterisks, colons in filenames

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 17:13:11 MST 2013

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 5:45 PM, Rob Townley <rob.townley at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, February 21, 2013, Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:

>>> Could there be an add-on module such as
>>> samba-enforce-dumb-filefolder-names ?
>>> Is Samba written in a modular enough way to add in a filesystem layer?
>>
>> Samba is *designed* to allow this :-). Check out the VFS
>> module interface. You'd have to catch all the path-based
>> calls.
>>
>> Jeremy.

Sorry i fat fingered gmail on my smartphone web browser.

Now, i am thinking it would be better as an ext2/3/4 module for those
cases the Linux users are accessing the same file hierarchy but not
via Samba.
Maybe it has to be in Samba as well to satisfy all the different file
systems available to Linux servers.