[Samba] Roaming Profile synchronization errors on new samba server

Diego Remolina diego.remolina at physics.gatech.edu
Thu Feb 21 13:28:01 MST 2013

Hi,

I am running an old CentOS 4 server with samba 3.4.9 and am trying to
move to a new server running Centos 6 and the latest stock samba 3.5.10-125.

Upon trying to switch over to the new server, I noticed that accessing
shares and copying files worked perfectly fine, however upon login off,
the roaming profile fails with error message:

Your roaming profile was not completely synchronized. See the event log
for details or contact administrator.

Further inspection of the event viewer shows several entries like:

-----------------------------
Windows cannot copy file \\?\C:\Users\dijuremo\Favorites\Links to
location \\?\UNC\p3file\Users\dijuremo\.winprofile.V2\Favorites\Links.
This error may be caused by network problems or insufficient security
rights.

  DETAIL - The parameter is incorrect.
-----------------------------

The client logs show messages such as:

-----------------------------
[2013/02/21 15:03:09.737537,  2] smbd/open.c:2508(open_directory)
   open_directory: unable to create
dijuremo/.winprofile.V2/Favorites/Links. Error was
NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_COLLISION
-----------------------------

I have tried upgrading to 3.6.9 using the SRPM from RHEL 6.4 and also
even build the latest 3.6.12 sources from samba.org with the spec file
from redhat and the problem seems to persist.

I have deleted the profile totally from both server and workstation to
try and get a new profile and the problem persist. The problem occurs on
both Windows 7 and 8 clients, but most of the testing I have done with
Windows 8.

I would appreciate if I can get some help with this. I can upload log
files or open a bugzilla if appropriate.

Thanks,

Diego