[Samba] Samba4 Auto-start

Mike Ray mray at xes-inc.com
Thu Feb 21 09:23:17 MST 2013

Greg, Rick--

Thanks both for your suggestions. Here is how it finally ended up:

As Greg thought, /usr/local/samba/sbin/samba as part of that upstart script was trying to use the default smb.conf (in /etc/samba) as opposed to the properly configured one in /usr/local/samba/etc. The solution here was simply removing the bad configuration and then symlink to the proper one. One lingering question here is why manually calling /usr/local/samba/sbin/samba (after the killall) used the correct configuration file automatically, but why it didn't do that magic when part of a script.

However, at this point, it still wasn't up and running properly. After some group analysis, we believed it was the fact that bind9 was not yet started when Samba was starting (we have --dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ). After poking around to set up a proper dependency between bind9 and Samba4, it worked as expected.

In case anyone else wants to set this up, here the files -- note please that this converts bind9 to an upstart minion, not a sysV relic; thus bind9 must be removed from the sysV start method. This can be achieved with "update-rc.d -f bind9 remove" .

/etc/init/samba4.conf :
#description "SMB/CIFS File and Active Directory Server"
#author "Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at ubuntu.com>"
start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up and started bind9)
stop on runlevel [!2345]
expect fork
normal exit 0
pre-start script
[ -r /etc/default/samba4 ] && . /etc/default/samba4
install -o root -g root -m 755 -d /var/run/samba
install -o root -g root -m 755 -d /var/log/samba
end script
exec /usr/local/samba/sbin/samba -D

/etc/init/bind9.conf :
#UPSTART JOB FOR BIND9
start on runlevel [2345]
stop on runlevel [!2345]

pre-start script
# dirs under /var/run can go away on reboots.
mkdir -p /var/run/named
chmod 775 /var/run/named
chown root:bind /var/run/named >/dev/null 2>&1 || true
end script

#Add bind command-line options below
exec /usr/sbin/named -f -u bind

pre-stop exec rndc stop

post-stop exec logger -p user.warning -t upstart-bind "bind stopped"

respawn
respawn limit 3 10
kill timeout 30
console none