[Samba] Samba4 Auto-start

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Wed Feb 20 14:15:09 MST 2013

MR> I'll cut to the chase -- several weeks ago, I thought I had an
MR> upstart configuration file that would start Samba4 when the VM was
MR> turned on; but it turns out I was wrong. At the time there was
MR> nothing on the wiki about it (the links were broken).
MR> The script I thought was working was simply:

MR> start on runlevel [2345]
MR> exec /usr/local/samba/sbin/samba

MR> In any case, looking at the official wiki today, I found a new
MR> note, stating that the links were indeed broken and that this one should probably work:

-SNIP-

MR> I am running Version 4.1.0pre1-GIT-f25debf on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS,
MR> with the samba executable at /usr/local/samba/sbin/samba and the
MR> conf file as /etc/init/samba4.conf.

I'm the one that dug up that upstart script and put it in the Wiki.
[Since the link we broken.]

But I don't think the upstart script has anything to do with what
ports Samba's going to listen on.

While someone else may be able to offer more helpful advice, I'd guess
that the difference is that the upstart is starting samba with a
different config than the manual start - if you figure out how it's
getting a different config, then I suspect your problem will go away
or be trivially solvable.

Also, while I think there's no difference in terms of if the upstart
script works properly or not, I used it on version 4.0.3.