[Samba] samba_upgradeprovision and msDS-SupportedEncryptionTypes / msDS-NcType

Dominic Evans oldmanuk at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 09:41:16 MST 2013

Originally I had a Win 2003 DC. I added a samba 4.0.0 DC to the
domain, allow full replication to take place and then transferred all
the roles to the samba 4.0.0 dc. Finally I removed the Windows DC from
the domain.

Everything has been working well. Today I upgraded from samba 4.0.0 to
4.0.3 and ran samba_upgradeprovision --full. Initially this was
failing in update_present throwing an exception when attempting to
modify msDS-NcType and msDS-SupportedEncryptionTypes attributes which
didn't exist. I was able to get the upgradeprovision to run to
completion by removing these from the deltas

i.e.,
            delta.remove('msDS-SupportedEncryptionTypes')
            delta.remove('msDS-NcType')

Everything seems to be up-and-running again at 4.0.3, so it went well.
However, if these attributes are missing - a) shouldn't I get these
attributes added? b) why don't these show up as missing attributes on
the samba-tool dbcheck?