[Samba] PROPOSAL: Remove SWAT in Samba 4.1

Sebastian Arcus shop at open-t.co.uk
Wed Feb 20 05:53:58 MST 2013

On 20/02/13 10:57, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

>>> -SNIP-

>>> I'm working through smb.conf options now, and I see that the official
>>> Samba docs for the smb.conf file are v3 only.
>>>
>>> I've taken the liberty of cranking the smb.conf man file to html and
>>> I've added a link in the wiki to it.
>>>
>>> [I can't post full html to the Wiki and editing the smb.conf html
>>> conversion to "wiki-eese" will be way too time consuming and
>>> cumbersome. So, I've simply put it on my own web-server and linked to
>>> it. My apologies if this violates some commonly accepted protocol, but
>>> I needed it as much as anyone. I'm glad to send the file to whomever
>>> needs it and once it's up at samba.org, change the link to point
>>> there.]
>>>
>>> However, for anyone looking for a web version of the smb.conf for
>>> 4.0.3 - see this wiki page.
>>> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Documentation_Links/samba4-smb.conf
>>>
>> Just curious what is the source of the smb.conf manual above. The reason
>> I'm asking is that I just found out for example that "map to guest" is
>> not working yet in Samba 4 (see my other thread on this list). So I'm
>> just wondering what other features which used to work in Samba 3 are not
>> implemented in Samba 4 yet (or might never get implemented). Thus if the
>> Samba 4 smb.conf manual page lists them - wouldn't that cause more
>> confusion as people will expect them to work? Is there some way of
>> finding out which features are working already - and maybe adding some
>> notes next to the others to warn users that they are not available yet?
>>
>> Also, the page above keeps on mentioning smbd - I was under the
>> impression that the Samba 4 binary is just "samba" - although maybe I am
>> getting mixed up about this.
>
> In this new operating mode (being an AD DC) some parameters do not have
> their expected effect.
>
> This does not impact on the other operating modes.
>
> The differences are due to divergence over years of development, and a
> failure to fully converge again, and so at this time there is no
> comprehensive list.
>
> Please file bugs as you find these, and we hope to get things hooked up
> or exceptions noted in the man page.
>
> Andrew Bartlett

Thanks Andrew. Will do. Just for my own understanding - is it still
possible to run Samba 4 as (just) a workgroup? If yes - does one just
specify security=user in smb.conf and still uses the "samba" binary - or
the "smbd" binary has to be started/used for workgroup operation? Or the
smbd binary is actually still the Samba 3.x series and is not
technically part of Samba 4 although it compiles out of the same download?

Sorry if I'm asking what might be really basic stuff to others.

Sebastian