[Samba] Question marks, asterisks, colons in filenames

Sven Tegethoff tegethoff at udobaer.de
Wed Feb 20 03:30:37 MST 2013

On 20.02.2013 10:37, Jonathan Buzzard wrote:
> The issue is that you have been abusing your file system to store
> metadata in the file names. A practice that is always going to end in
> trouble. For example what do you do when a filename for your chosen
> metadata format exceeds the maximum length for your particular file
> system?

Filesystem abuse? Call the cops! :) First ... filenames ARE metadata.
They have never been meant  to be anything else. So it's of course
perfectly valid to use and abuse them for whatever fits your use case -
people have been doing that since files exist, and half of your /bin
directory consists of tools helping you doing just that.

What we have here is a problem of two incompatible text fields, and it
does not make a difference if that incompatibility is a filenames in a
file system or some table in some kind of non-filesytem media library.
If you can't fix the incompatibility and if you can't change the
underlying process that generates the data to only create names that fit
the lowest common denominator all systems can handle, the obvious
solution is to put in some kind of translation rule.

You're not always in a position to redesign a business process from
ground up, that's why being an expert in shoving square pegs in round
holes is one of the most well-paid jobs in the IT industry :)

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Sven Tegethoff
EDV-Team

UDO BÄR GmbH & Co. KG
Fürstenstraße 18
47051 Duisburg
Tel.: +49 (0) 203 28117-142
Fax: +49 (0) 203 28117-151
E-Mail: tegethoff at udobaer.de

Ust.-Idnr.: DE119562189, HRA 6056, Sitz der Gesellschaft: Duisburg,
Gerichtsstand: Duisburg Geschäftsführer: Bodo Badnowitz, Jürgen Dietz

Ein Unternehmen der BTI Gruppe: www.bti-group.com

Diese E-Mail enthält vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese E-Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser E-Mail ist nicht gestattet.  This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail.  Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.