[Samba] Question marks, asterisks, colons in filenames

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 09:55:21 MST 2013

i bookmarked the #Reserved_characters_and_words section of that wiki article.
However, the point is, there are times that the end user is not naming
the files directly, but the OS or an application is doing so.

wget will put escaped ? into filenames, but a windows machine will not
be able to read it.
mkdir "`date`"  allows one to make a folder name based on the time
with slashes and colons, but of course windows chokes on that.

Further, file systems need to save time, not consume a weekend.  The
problem is mostly with NTFS, but we can not control that.  If there
was a filesystem layer in a samba share that prevented the creation of
files / folders incompatible with windows, that would save time.  A
windows filenaming compatibility mode or just get rid of windows and
Macs altogether.  i prefer the latter, but that would entail getting
rid of family members and my job.