[Samba] S4 file server and DNS

Hervé Hénoch h.henoch at isc84.org
Tue Feb 19 06:56:43 MST 2013

Hello

I have a S4 AD server. I've configured a S4 file server and when I want
to join the AD domain :

1) If I used --dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ when upgrading from 3 to 4 :

 > net ads join -U <adminuser>

DNS Update for ssc011.sc.isc84.org failed: ERROR_DNS_INVALID_MESSAGE
DNS update failed: NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL

2) If I used --dns-backend=SAMBA_INTERNAL when upgrading from 3 to 4 :

No error and I can see my file server in then DNS with MMC tools.

The problem seems to be with DNS dynamic updates. I insist on the fact
that my DNS server is working (all tests were successful). Bind version
is 9.8.1. Debian Wheeze.

What should I investigate to run S4 with bind9 ?

Regards

--

Hervé Hénoch
Responsable informatique