[Samba] Question marks, asterisks, colons in filenames

Ray ray at renegade.zapto.org
Mon Feb 18 12:16:15 MST 2013

Hi,

I suppose this question must have been posted a hundred times, but
Google brings up nothing useful:

Consider "The Wall" from Pink Floyd in an MP3 collection. There's "In
The Flesh.mp3" and "In The Flesh?.mp3" as tracks. Or, another example in
an MP3 collection: There's a Band called "Stellar", but there's also a
band called "Stellar*". Naming files like this is no problem in Linux.

Now I had the idea of using my files on other computers such as Macs
and Windows-boxes, but both Systems have trouble with the characters
mentioned above.

My question is how Samba can help me to map these characters to
something else so that the files become usable on the Windows/Mac side
*without destroying the readability of the filenames entorely*. Hashing
into 8.3 random character sequences with "mangled names = yes" is not
really an option.

What is the successor of the removed "mangled map" option? I did not
find anything in the current man page of smb.conf (5).

I'm running Samba 3.5.10, which is the latest in CentOS 6.3.

Surely there must be some elegant way to fix this? I don't want to
rename all my files at the Linux end.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Cheers,
Raimund