[Samba] 389 Directory Server (LDAP) and SAMBA

Dorian Preston dpreston at remindermedia.com
Tue Feb 12 14:57:45 MST 2013

I have:

*389 Directory Server (v1.2) with about 100+ current and active users.
*Separate SAMBA server that I would like to use LDAP credentials to authenticate with.

Found guides for using LDAP credentials with SAMBA here:
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Howto:Samba
http://sangacollins.wordpress.com/posts/directory-server/

What I have been able to do:

Added the samba schema information (61samba.ldif) into my 389 directory server.

Used the configure.pl script to configure smbldap-tools for my 389 Directory server.

Ran smbldap-populate to add the basic Windows user setup for SAMBA.

Issues:

It seems that all of the SAMBA/LDAP guides expect SAMBA and LDAP to be on the same server.

Don't really understand how I am supposed to add the SAMBA schema information to my current LDAP users so they can be authenticated via SAMBA.

One of the guides says alot about enabling winbind and authconfig. Don't know if this is needed.

Questions:

Is there any up to date documentation for using 389 Directory Server as an LDAP Authentication Backend for SAMBA?

Is there a process (read. I unfortunately can't just delete/add user accounts with SAMBA info) for adding SAMBA information into my existing LDAP accounts?

Do I need to do anything using authconfig?