[Samba] S4 Cannot Unlock Account

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 09:16:20 MST 2013

Hi

On 12 February 2013 16:03, Thomas Simmons <twsnnva at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Ricky,
>
> These do not seem to work. samba-tool user setexpiry alters the
> "accountExpires" attribute. samba-tool user enable/disable's behavior is
> odd. disable appears to add 2 to the current value and enable subtracts 2
> from the updated value (only if it's been disabled). Like this:
>
> Running the following on my account, in this order:
> initial = 512
> enable =  512
> disable = 514
> disable = 514
> enable = 512
> enable = 512
>
> If I manually set this value to 516 (don't know if that's valid) and run
> disable, it gets set to 518.
>
> The account that is set to 528 gets set to 530 when I disable. Enable sets
> it back to 528.

I'm sure it's a bitmask and disable/enable just set/clear the second bit:

512 = 0000001000000000
514 = 0000001000000010
516 = 0000001000000100
518 = 0000001000000110
528 = 0000001000010000
530 = 0000001000010010

So you have the 5th bit set.  I don't know what that means, but
clearly that's the problem.

A google search for "userAccountControl bitmask" turns up this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305144

which says that bit means PASSWD_NOTREQD.  (The other one is NORMAL_ACCOUNT).

I'm not sure why that should cause a problem though.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>