[Samba] best road to go... Win2008R2 +samba4

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue Feb 12 01:20:28 MST 2013

Hai..

Few questions, before i go start my project.

i now have 2 domains,  samba3  with ldap ( DOMAIN1) ( and dns )   , and separated Win2008R2 (DOMAIN2)  ( and dns )

Since i dont have any lic's on my win2008 for users want to know if its possible to do the following.

Keep the Win2008R2  also DHCP+DNS ( and i have some dns slaves  )  DOMAIN2
Join Samba 4 to the DOMAIN2 , transfere the FSMO roles, so samba4 is the master DC of the domain.

I cant touch the win2008 server, its my phone systems...
is setup the following,  DNS is running bind.
Windows2008 DHCP+Master dns ( with 5 sub domains.. )
        => samba3 server, slave dns
        => mailserver server, slave dns
        => proxy server, slave dns.

And my question is, can i run a setup like this.
do i have to move my dhcp server to samba4, or can i keep it as is and only move the FSMO roles.

next step is, move my current domain1 to domain 2.

And if someone has a better setup to go with please tell me ;-)

Best regards,

Louis