[Samba] file server

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Feb 11 03:59:44 MST 2013

On Mon, 2013-02-11 at 10:53 +0100, Ali Bendriss wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using samba4 as AD DC and file sharing.
> I would like to setup a dedicated file server cluster on 2 nodes using ctdb to
> separate the role (authentication/file sharing), and join the cluster to the
> domain.
>
> I am not clear on which version of samba I sould use for the file server
> cluster : latest samba 3 + krb5 or latest samba 4 (using smbd and winbindd) ?
> both accept the clustering option --with-cluster-support.

You may use whichever you feel comfortable with.  The Samba 4.0 release
is our latest production release of Samba, and all features found in
Samba 3.6 are present, except for the very few that we announced as
deprecated.  This includes CTDB support.

I'm glad to hear you wish to separate your file server from your DC.
This is a good choice, and allows you to choose the version of Samba to
use on both independently.

Andrew Bartlett