[Samba] Problems building Samba SRPM on Fedora 18 due to buildtools/bin/waf

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 13:57:00 MST 2013

I'm doing some work trying to build SRPM's for samba-4.0.2 on Fedoar
18, to update from the 4.0.0rc5 currently available for it.  and maybe
even to backport to RHEL 6. Unfortunately, even the original and
unmodified SRPM from Red Hat fails to build because the
"buildtools/bin/waf" is *spewing* temporary files into /tmp/wfcache.
/tmp is mounted as a "tmpfs" filesystem, and it's too dang small.

I can reconfigure a host with "/tmp" as a local filesystem, and I can
even do builds inside the "mock" tools for building SRPM's  which
create and use "chroot" environments and don't use "tmpfs" at all. But
it's a booby trap for anyone unsuspecting of the issue: The Samba
RPM's will fail to build because /tmp overflows with all the
/tmp/wafcache debris overwhelming it.

I don't have a best solution for this yet, I just wanted to let the
mailing list know they might get a surprise if they try to build RPM's
for Samba on Fedora 18.

                                   Nico Kadel-Garcia