[Samba] Append/delete permissions

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at monyo.com
Sun Feb 10 02:27:42 MST 2013

From: Dejan Gambin <dejan.gambin at coin.hr>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 22:11:08 +0100

> I am new on the list but have been using samba for a while. At the moment
> I have the following problem/request:
>
> - have a group of ordinary users (lets call it ALL)
> - have a group of admin users (lets call it ADMIN)
> - have a share X
>
> I want all my ordinary users (they are in valid users list as @ALL) to be able to create/add files and folders in this share but NOT be able to delete them once they are added. Besides, I want that all those created files/folders can be deleted by the admin users from ADMIN group.
>
> I suppose this is possible but don't know how.

To set "vfs object = acl_xattr" and to enable xattr on your file system,
Samba can store NTFS ACLs. But as far as I examined, there are some
problems around access control.

Please try.

> I have been playing with create mode/mask, directory mode/mask, force
> user/group, inherit owner, inherit permissions, chattr, etc but didn't
> make any success. I am using Samba 3.5.6 on Linux Debian machine.

No, you cannot archive with these parameters. These parameters work in UNIX
semantics, which does not have 'can DELETE' flag.

---
TAKAHASHI Motonobu <monyo at monyo.com> / @damemonyo
                   facebook.com/takahashi.motonobu