[Samba] having issues with shares

ray klassen julius_ahenobarbus at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 8 14:11:48 MST 2013

I would start by disabling oplocks.

----- Original Message -----
From: Donny Brooks <dbrooks at mdah.state.ms.us>
To: samba at lists.samba.org
Sent: Friday, 8 February 2013, 12:56
Subject: [Samba] having issues with shares

We recently migrated our install from an ancient fedora 11 install of samba and openldap to a centos 6.3 setup with its openldap and samba. The domain has been totally recreated from scratch as the person that did the previous setup has not been employed here in many years. After fighting with shares for a while we mostly got them fixed and working. However the biggest issue now is when our GIS people try to connect to their samba share. Previously two pople could be editing different feature classes, different files, but now it will not let the second person do anything but view. Here is a brief explanation from our head GIS guy:

We currently have 5 data sets in one feature class in the GIS.

site_point
site_poly
survey_point
survey_line
survey_poly

Before the conversion to the new Domain:

User A could open up the GIS on computer 1 and begin to edit one of the data set. (site_point for example) and User B could open up the GIS on computer 2 and begin to edit any other data set  except what User A was editing (in this example site_point).  As long a two people didn't try and edit the same data set it worked.

After the Domain conversion:

User A opens up the GIS on computer 1 and begins to edit any of our data sets. User B opens up the GIS on computer 2 and attempts to edit any of our data sets a window opens up with several errors about  file locks.  ( I can send up screen shots in the morning)  As we saw in the samba logs it appears that once User A begins editing the one data set all the other data sets in the feature class get .lock files along with the one that User A is actually editing.  The only way User B can edit data is if User A exits the GIS completely.

So with that we have been trying everything we can think of to get it working correctly again. When I setup the share I copied the existing share from the old domain and put it in the new one making only the domain name change to the section.

Here is the old setup:

[pictures]
    comment = Shared Folder for Pictures
    path = /samba/pictures
    read only = No
    create mask = 0667
    directory mask = 0770
        csc policy = disable
        nt acl support = no
        force security mode = 777
        valid users = @hpres
        force group = @ADMIN\hpres
        #inherit permissions = yes
        write list = @ADMIN\hpres

Here is the new:

[hp-pictures]
        comment = Shared Folder for Historic Preservation Pictures
        path = /samba/arrowhead/hp-pictures
        read only = No
        create mask = 0667
        directory mask = 0770
    csc policy = disable
    nt acl support = no
    force security mode = 777
        valid users = @hpres
        force group = @MDAH\hpres
        write list = @MDAH\hpres

Anyone have an idea why this could be happening?

--

Donny B.