[Samba] Cannot logon Samba 4 via plaintext password

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Feb 6 14:22:50 MST 2013

On Thu, 2013-02-07 at 03:12 +0900, TAKAHASHI Motonobu wrote:
> > On Mon, 4 Feb 2013 17:32:29 +0000, Benjamin Huntsman
> > <BHuntsman at mail2.cu-portland.edu> wrote:
> >> There is no samba-tool binary in my build.  I built 4.0.2 using the
> >> original build system, since the WAF-baed one doesn't work on AIX.
> >> Can the same effect be achieved through editing smb.conf?
>
> From: Daniel Müller <mueller at tropenklinik.de>
> Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 14:26:09 +0100
>
> > I do not think so.
> > Why not just download samba4 gzipped from sama.org. unzip it and compile
> > anew.  You need this samba tool to administrate
> > samba 4
>
> No, samba-tool appears only when you compile Samba4 without --without-ad-dc
> option. Also if you compile Samba4 with same method as Samba3, then you can
> not see samba-tool.

In any case, samba-tool does not control if we support plaintext
passwords.  That is only controlled from the smb.conf, and only makes
sense on standalone servers.

With the bug filed in the other branch of this thread, I'll see what
went wrong with the code and how we can fix this.  That said, I would be
very glad to see the end of this support - plaintext passwords have been
a bad idea from both a functional and security perspective for quite
some time now.

Andrew Bartlett