[Samba] upgrade from 3.5 -> 3.6, now I have "no backend defined for idmap"

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Tue Feb 5 12:56:26 MST 2013

On 02/05/2013 12:08 AM, Jobst Schmalenbach wrote:
> Hi Dale
>
> that worked, thanks.
>
> Just to clarify the "*" means everything else, right?
That's how I understand it.  On the sites I visited while gathering this
information, no one seemed to know why it is required, only that
everything started working after it was added.
> Cause now I am getting (only once)
>
>     [2013/02/04 07:50:48.519114,  1] winbindd/idmap.c:288(idmap_init_named_domain) no backend defined for idmap config BUILTIN
I have that line, too and also a lot of other lines regarding BUILTIN.
Everything is working, so I haven't put any effort into finding out
why.  If you run "cat" against your Samba logs and grep for BUILTIN,
you'll see what I mean.

> One strange side effect ... I have never had to reboot a machine because of a change to the samba daemon(s), a restart always worked. For a couple of days after the change I still was getting the message until I rebooted ... now I do not get the messages, weird.
On rare occasions, I've had to do the same thing.  It's something I
would try when all else failed.

Sorry that I don't have any concrete reasons as to the "why" of any of
these things.

Dale