[Samba] DFS not working on Win XP

Björn JACKE bj at SerNet.DE
Tue Feb 5 10:04:45 MST 2013

On 2012-12-30 at 18:28 +0000 Feustel, Thomas sent off:
> a heave a share on a  samba server 3.6.3  that is  used as a DFS-Root.
> The DFS Links a working on Client with Windows 7 but not on Windows XP clients.

it looks like XP machines that see a kerberos supporting server do not set the
"resolve pathnames with dfs" bit. That's why Samba does not reply with a
PATH_NOT_COVERED error, which usually signals the client that we have a DFS
link here. Looks like a Windows bug to me. XP seems to expect DFS information
only in AD when it sees a kerberized server, which is not always true.  Setting
security=domain and winbind rpc only=yes will help you to work around this
misbehaviour - XP will set the dfs bit again after you rebooted the client.
Would be nice to see a fix from Microsoft for this however because not
everybody wants to make this workaround.

Cheers
Björn
  ☎ +49-551-370000-0, ℻ +49-551-370000-9