[Samba] Samba4 domain controller ntlm_auth error - No logon servers (0xc000005e)

John/SML john at sml.citizen.co.jp
Tue Feb 5 07:20:51 MST 2013

Hi,

Formerly, I was successfully to use Samba 3.0.28a + FreeRADIUS 1.1.7 for
Wi-Fi PEAP authentication against Windows 2003 AD. Now, I would like to
replace Windows AD with Samba4. I build Samba4 successfully from source on
Ubuntu 12.04.1 and the Samba4 domain controller seems function normally,
e.g. able to work with the Samba4 domain with RSAT and edit the group
policy.

However, when I used Samba 3.0.28a as client and used ntlm_auth command to
authenticate Samba4 domain users :-

>ntlm_auth --request-nt-key --domain=dom1 --username=john
--password=secret

When I entered the correct password, ntlm_auth returned an error
"NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS: No logon servers (0xc000005e)" instead of OK.
When I deliberately entered a wrong password, it returned the wrong
password error correctly.

I hope someone could advise what went wrong. Is Samba4 domain mature
enough and could replace the Windows AD for ntlm_auth authentication ?

Thanks a lot.

John Mok