[Samba] What in samba 4.1 prevents a '/' share?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Dec 31 15:56:45 MST 2013

On 12/30/2013 05:02 AM, L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
> Hai David,
>
> This is what im having, and no problems with the / share on sernet samba 4.1.3
>

> tested mount from :
> smbd -V  : Version 3.5.6
> debian kernel :  2.6.32-bpo.5-amd64
> OS Debian Lenny
>
> to: debian wheezy, latest kernal sernet samba 4.1.3
> smb.conf
> [global]
>         workgroup = MYDOMAIN
>         realm = subdomain.domain.tld
>         netbios name = MYNETBIOSNAME
>         server role = active directory domain controller
>         server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc, drepl, winbind, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate
>
> # ---- disable printing completely
>         load printers = no
>         printing = bsd
>         printcap name = /dev/null
>         disable spoolss = yes
>
> [netlogon]
>         path = /home/samba/sysvol/rotterdam.bazuin.nl/scripts
>         read only = No
>
> [sysvol]
>         path = /home/samba/sysvol
>         read only = No
>

> [myroot]
>         path = /
>         read only = No
>
> used line:
> mount -t cifs //192.168.249.212/myroot /mnt -o username=Administrator,sec=ntlmv2
>
> Works perfectly.
>
> for you,
>> mount error(13): Permission denied
> try the following, shorten the lines first and try to locate where te probleem is.
> your line:
> sudo mount.cifs //phoinix/config /mnt/phx-cfg -o username=david,uid=1000,credentials=/home/david/.dcr/mountcfile,noperm
> try :
> sudo mount -t cifs //phoinix/config /mnt/phx-cfg -o username=david,sec=ntlmv2
> if it works add a parameter.
> as username you can also try username="DOMAINNAME\david"
>
> test it and let it know.
>

> Greetz,
>
> Louis

Louis,

  Thank your for your help. I'm really scratching my head on this one:

16:33 providence:/mnt/pv/home/david/tde13/tde> sudo mount -t cifs
//phoinix/config /mnt/phx-cfg -o username=david,sec=ntlmv2
Password for david@//phoinix/config:
mount error(13): Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

16:45 providence:/mnt/pv/home/david/tde13/tde> sudo mount -t cifs
//phoinix/config /mnt/phx-cfg -o username="RLFPLLC\david",sec=ntlmv2
Password for david@//phoinix/config:
mount error(13): Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

  Here is my config -- note: I am not running a domain, I have a STANDALONE
setup. (I have a small office - always less than 12 workstations - SSO is not an
issue for me:

Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

[global]
        workgroup = RLFPLLC
        server string = Phoinix Samba %v
        map to guest = Bad User
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        time server = Yes
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        show add printer wizard = No
        os level = 66
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes
        idmap config * : backend = tdb
        admin users = david
        hosts allow = 192.168.6., 192.168.7., 127.
        use sendfile = Yes

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[config]
        comment = Phoinix Config (Archlinux)
        path = /
        valid users = david
        force user = root
        force group = root
        read only = No
        browseable = No

  I can't see anything that could be causing a problem. I have used this setup
for at least a decade and it has always worked. Now this box is giving me fits.
Did something change for standalone servers that would prevent this from working
any longer?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.