[Samba] Chmod bug in Samba generating incorrect permissions?

John Joganic john-dev at joganic.com
Tue Dec 31 13:47:39 MST 2013

All,

I've been working against an issue for several months now.  I have very
strictly controlled permissions using create/security mask and force
create/security mode.  When users create files, the permissions are
incorrectly set to 0720 (rwx-w----).  I've checked this with strace
attached to the process.  It creates the file with 0760, and then it
comes back later and changes it to 0720.

I created a new share yesterday to test this, and it worked correctly.
When I moved it into production this morning, both the test share and
the production share stopped working.  This seems like a bug to me.

[share]
     path = /var/samba/share
     public = yes
     read only = no
     writeable = yes
     create mask = 0770
     security mask = 0770
     force create mode = 0660
     force security mode = 0660

I'm running smbd version 3.6.6 on Debian 7 Wheezy.

Thank you for your consideration.

John