[Samba] How many memory do I need with the samba4 dc?

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Fri Dec 27 11:55:42 MST 2013

Hello,

Am 25.12.2013 05:51, schrieb Sense Zeng:
> My AD is using  win2003 DC now. Domain functional level and Forest
> functional level are 2003. I try to use the samba4 server replace the
> win2003 server.
> User account: 6044
> Group: 111
> Computer account: about 1000
> I tried use a computer (system: ubuntu 13.10) with 1G ram to join domain as
> DC (samba-tool domain join ... DC ...) and 1G ram gone fast. Samba-tool
> domain join did not success.
> How many memory do I need as my AD with the samba4 DC server?

Univention recomments 4-8 GB, depending on the size of the environment:
http://wiki.univention.de/index.php?title=Join_Samba_4_to_an_AD#Prerequisites

I joined my last DC (4 GB RAM) to a domain with 200 users/~50 groups/280
computer accounts without any problems.

What exacltly was the error you got during the domain join? And what
version of Samba are you running (self compiled or package)?

Regards,
Marc