[Samba] Performance issues samba4 with e.g. "ls -la"

Nicola Tiling nti at w4w.net
Thu Dec 19 14:00:30 MST 2013

Hello

I have performace problems with services or commands that uses user or groups on the filesystem.

"wbinfo -u" lasts about 5 seconds for an output of ~150 users

Also a "ls -la" takes about 5 seconds to give an result. ls -lan however is very quick. ps ax is quick, ps -aux slow ...
If samba is stopped the performance is quick always.
A problem is the webserver. Delivering websites is also very very slow if samba is enabled.

Are there any tuning options to solve that problem? Or do I need a bigger machine?

System is a HP Microserver:
FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE #0: Tue Oct 22 16:57:52 UTC 2013
CPU: AMD Turion(tm) II Neo N54L Dual-Core Processor (2196.39-MHz K8-class CPU)
real memory  = 8589934592 (8192 MB)
avail memory = 8159903744 (7781 MB)

my smb4.conf:

   interfaces=10.1.1.1/24
   unix charset = UTF8
   log level = 1
   workgroup = ABCDEEFG
   realm = abcdefg.local
   netbios name = samba
   allow dns updates = True
   dns forwarder = 192.168.1.1
   nsupdate command = /usr/local/bin/samba-nsupdate -g
   server services = rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc, drepl, winbind, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate, dns, smb
   dcerpc endpoint servers = epmapper, wkssvc, rpcecho, samr, netlogon, lsarpc, spoolss, drsuapi, dssetup, unixinfo, browser, eventlog6, backupkey, dnsserver, winreg, srvsvc
   load printers = No
   wins server = 192.168.1.1
   winbind separator = #
   winbind cache time = 60
   winbind enum users = Yes
   winbind enum groups = Yes
   winbind use default domain = Yes
   dns forwarder = 192.168.1.1
   create mask = 0666
   directory mask = 0777
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=98304 SO_SNDBUF=98304
   getwd cache = yes
   use sendfile = true
   min receivefile size = 16384
   aio read size = 16384
   aio write size = 16384
   aio write behind = yes
   veto files = .*
   veto oplock files = /*.mdb/*.MDB/*.mde/*.MDE/
   oplocks = Yes
   msdfs root = Yes
   vfs objects = zfsacl, recycle

Nicola