[Samba] Troubles getting samba4 working (from samba 3)

Michael Lustfield lists at profarius.com
Wed Dec 18 13:06:31 MST 2013

Our current environment is Samba 3 with an LDAP backend. I want to move to
Samba 4 with an AD backend. We already have the AD servers in place and
Samba 3 servers are using AD absolutely perfectly. The last remaining piece
is to move Samba 3->4.

My existing Samba 3 configuration looks like this:

[global]
        server string = 1220 Boothost Server
        netbios name = BOOTHOST-1220
        realm = AD.DOMAIN.TLD
        workgroup = DOMAIN
        security = ads
        encrypt passwords = yes
        map to guest = Bad User
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        log level = 1
        max log size = 0
        domain logons = no
        os level = 75
        preferred master = no
        domain master = no
        dns proxy = no
        delete veto files = yes
        veto files = /*desktop.ini/*$RECYCLE.BIN/
        veto oplock files = /*.xls/
        smb ports = 139
        load printers = no
        server signing = disabled
        printing = bsd
        printcap name = /dev/null

[homes]
        valid users = %S
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = no
        create mask = 0664
        directory mask = 0775
        browseable = no
        csc policy = disable

[shared]
        path = /home/1220/shared
        comment = Center Shared Directory
        create mask = 0770
        directory mode = 0770
        browseable = no
        writeable = yes

[pcsetup]
        path = /var/www/pcsetup
        comment = PC Setup Data
        public = yes
        writeable = no
        browseable = yes

[printsetup]
        path = /opt/samba/printers
        comment = Printer Setup Directory
        public = yes
        writeable = no
        browseable = no

Obviously, things have changed between versions. However, I'm finding it
EXTREMELY difficult to get this configuration moved to Samba 4.

When I try to start it with this configuration, I see this:

root at boothost:/etc/samba# /etc/init.d/samba4 restart
Stopping Samba 4 daemon: samba.
Starting Samba 4 daemon: samba/usr/sbin/samba: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
libwbclient.so.0: no version information available (required by
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/samba/libauth4.so)
Unknown parameter encountered: "map to guest"
Ignoring unknown parameter "map to guest"
Unknown parameter encountered: "max log size"
Ignoring unknown parameter "max log size"
Unknown parameter encountered: "os level"
Ignoring unknown parameter "os level"
Unknown parameter encountered: "delete veto files"
Ignoring unknown parameter "delete veto files"
Unknown parameter encountered: "veto files"
Ignoring unknown parameter "veto files"
Unknown parameter encountered: "veto oplock files"
Ignoring unknown parameter "veto oplock files"
Unknown parameter encountered: "load printers"
Ignoring unknown parameter "load printers"
Unknown parameter encountered: "printing"
Ignoring unknown parameter "printing"
Unknown parameter encountered: "printcap name"
Ignoring unknown parameter "printcap name"
Unknown parameter encountered: "valid users"
Ignoring unknown parameter "valid users"
Unknown parameter encountered: "directory mode"
Ignoring unknown parameter "directory mode"
Unknown parameter encountered: "writeable"
Ignoring unknown parameter "writeable"
Unknown parameter encountered: "public"
Ignoring unknown parameter "public"
Unknown parameter encountered: "writeable"
Ignoring unknown parameter "writeable"
Unknown parameter encountered: "public"
Ignoring unknown parameter "public"
Unknown parameter encountered: "writeable"
Ignoring unknown parameter "writeable"

I really need the oplock stuff, but... smb4 doesn't seem to have these
options. I'm not finding anything useful on migrating the configuration
file either.

I don't need to do an in-place migration of the servers. All users and
groups are in LDAP/AD. They shouldn't be any issue in my migration. I just
need to figure out how to achieve in an smb4 config what I'm doing in this
smb3 config.

I'm completely lost... :(