[Samba] Success with samba4 ( debian wheezy member server )

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Tue Dec 17 15:27:14 MST 2013

On Tue, 2013-12-17 at 17:41 +0100, Cyril wrote:
> There's some points I don't understand :
>

>  > 1) point your dns ( /etc/resolv.conf ) to the ad server.
>
> Ok, This is done by the DHCP server.

No chance.

The only way on the member server is to hard code
127.0.0.1 hostname.domainname hostname
to /etc/hosts

> > 2) make user hostname.domainname works.
> > 	test it with :  hostname -s ( single name )
> > 			    hostname -d ( domainname )
> > 			    hostname -f  ( hostname.domainname )
>
> Ok, I add an "A" entry in the DNS Zone.

Not necessary. This is done when you join the domain.

> > 3) TIME MUST BE IN SYNC !! ( apt-get install ntp , edit /etc/ntp.conf put in server IPofADserver
>
> done
>

> > if this works..
> >
> > apt-get install krb5-user sernet-samba-winbind sernet-samba
>
> I'm using ubuntu. So may I install krb5-user samba4-clients winbind4 ?
> I'll have a try ...
>
> Doesn't work on ubuntu 12.04 LTS.
>
> I'm trying with an older version : samba and winbind
>

> > check the /etc/krb5.conf file
> > if you dont see your domain ( realm )
> > type : dpkg-reconfigure -plow krb5-user
> > it should fill it, if not fix it yourselve.
> >

> That's ok
>
> > then go here and copy the smb.conf and put it in /etc/samba
> > http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba/Domain_Member
> > !! change the workgroup and realm, and keep the CAPS !
> >
> > edit /etc/default/sernet-samba
> > put in classic
> >

> Does that mean that configuring a linux client is nearly the same as
> configuring a BDC without sharing or other services ?
>
> > start samba.
> >
> > almost there.
> >
> > check /etc/nsswitch.conf
> > should have.
> > passwd:         compat winbind
> > group:          compat winbind
> >
> > wait 10-20 sec.
> >
> > test
> > kinit administrator
> >
> kinit: KDC reply did not match expectations while getting initial
> credentials
>
> I think, I'll have to try with newer version of samba and winbind
>

> > ( you should see administrator at YOURREALM !  )
> > test ok,  Join the domain.
> > net ads join -U administrator
> >
> > joined ?
> >

> Damned; my howtname is too long !
> May I use a FQDN for the workstation ?
>
> After having changed the hostname for something shorter :
>
> Using short domain name -- mydomain
> Joined 'mymachine' to realm 'mydomain.com'
> DNS Update for mymachine.mydomain.com failed: ERROR_DNS_INVALID_MESSAGE
> DNS update failed!

It failed because the DC does not know the hostname of your member
server. You can add A records but it's better to get this right before
you join the domain. Un join, correct your dns then rejoin. Solution
above.

HTH
Steve