[Samba] Using samba4 with AD and rfc2307 - what are the *current* practices?

Thomas Harold thomas-lists at nybeta.com
Fri Dec 13 11:13:30 MST 2013

On 12/12/2013 1:42 PM, steve wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-12-12 at 10:29 -0500, Michael Brown wrote:
>> On 13-12-12 03:15 AM, L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
>>> and remember sssd is NOT compatibele with sernet samba.
>>>
>>> Just a reminder..
>>>
>> Can someone suggest a better place then to get up-to-date packages for
>> various distros?
>
> I've never really understood what sernet does. It seems to add
> complexity over and above what really is a very simple installation from
> source. So, to answer your question, the best place and way to install
> samba4 is from source. Tat way you get just Samba4 and it just works. No
> one has pissed around with it to try and make it distro compatible. It's
> too new and under too rapid development to get stable enough for the
> distros in my opinion. There is a model of an installation  howto at
> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO

Except that half the time it rarely compiles from source properly,
unless you shake the bones and pour out the goat blood in the proper
pattern.  Or it works fine one month, then the next release doesn't work.

With the sernet RPMs, I can upgrade my Samba server in the span of
minutes rather then spending 1-4 hours on the process each month.  Even
with the quirks, it's a far better deal.