[Samba] Using samba4 with AD and rfc2307 - what are the *current* practices?

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 12 12:02:52 MST 2013

On 12/12/13 15:29, Michael Brown wrote:
> On 13-12-12 03:15 AM, L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
>> and remember sssd is NOT compatibele with sernet samba.
>>
>> Just a reminder..
>>
> Can someone suggest a better place then to get up-to-date packages for
> various distros?
>
> On 13-12-12 03:12 AM, steve wrote:
>>
>> winbind doesn't work on the DC. To do what you wish to do, add:
>> uidNumber: 1234567
>> to the DN of Administrator and use sssd or nslcd to extract the
>> information _directly_ from AD. Same on your remote client.
>>
>> There are Samba4 howtos for sssd and nslcd.
>
> After thinking about it, it doesn't seem that going via sssd will
> solve any of the problems I've listed.
>
> I'll still need to setup id mapping so that incoming connections (SMB,
> etc) get mapped to the correct user. So I'll still need all the id
> mapping stuff.
>
> Or is Samba smart enough to recognize that 'michael' or 'MAIN+michael'
> is the same as the system user 'michael' and just use the system
> user's uid/gid/etc?

This is confusing me, (yes I know, it doesn't take much) when you say
'system user' do you mean a Linux user that is found in /etc/passwd?
If the answer to that is yes, then I am sorry, you cannot have the same
username as a local user and a domain user, but you can use a domain
user as a local user by joining the linux machine to the domain.

Rowland