[Samba] Using samba4 with AD and rfc2307 - what are the *current* practices?

Michael Brown michael at netdirect.ca
Thu Dec 12 08:29:03 MST 2013

On 13-12-12 03:15 AM, L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
> and remember sssd is NOT compatibele with sernet samba.
>
> Just a reminder..

Can someone suggest a better place then to get up-to-date packages for
various distros?

On 13-12-12 03:12 AM, steve wrote:

> winbind doesn't work on the DC. To do what you wish to do, add:
> uidNumber: 1234567
> to the DN of Administrator and use sssd or nslcd to extract the
> information _directly_ from AD. Same on your remote client.
>
> There are Samba4 howtos for sssd and nslcd.

After thinking about it, it doesn't seem that going via sssd will solve
any of the problems I've listed.

I'll still need to setup id mapping so that incoming connections (SMB,
etc) get mapped to the correct user. So I'll still need all the id
mapping stuff.

Or is Samba smart enough to recognize that 'michael' or 'MAIN+michael'
is the same as the system user 'michael' and just use the system user's
uid/gid/etc?

What about the case where I don't have 'use default domain' turned on
and have multiple domains?

M.

--
Michael Brown               | `One of the main causes of the fall of
Systems Consultant          | the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero,