[Samba] [Sambal can't "see" files on NFS mounts using 3.6.15, after upgrading from 2.2.8a

Linda W samba at tlinx.org
Thu Dec 12 02:24:26 MST 2013

On 12/11/2013 10:08 PM, Jordan Verschuer wrote:
> Thanks Linda, your suggestion is a good one, I think it gives a clue.
>
> I created a new samba Share of a NFS mounted folder, i.e. not linked
> into my original Share, and this shows the same thing, I can't see the
> files via Win or Mac clients.
>
> So this rules out being a wide link issue right?
>
> It's now a "sharing an NFS mounted folder via smb" issue right?
----
It would seem so.  Since there are no links involved and you are
accessing it
directly, I don't see how links would be at issue.

There are security differences between 2 and 3 among other issues.  I'm
not a  samba expert or developer and I've not used sun's current NFS.
> > So anything I say at this point would be shooting in the dark. <<

However, doesn't NFS have some authentication mechanism in place
to verify or map users from your local machine to the remote machine,
or is it just using a uid->uid mapping?

Even so, I'm wondering if remote users on win are being properly
"represented"
as "themselves", to the remote NFS server in the way it needs.

Other things you could try:

Try an older version of samba -- maybe 3.0, and/or 3.2, 3.4... see if it
works on
any of them -- maybe an earlier version works and that could help narrow it
down.

Another thing I might (besides asking on here and hoping someone had some
insight or hints), is using "wireshark" and looking at the traffic going
to and from
the linux box -- should see smb stuff coming from clients and Nfs
requests in
response to that.

I don't know what it would tell, but it might be interesting and that would
be trying to mount, with CIFS, from they linux server onto
a tmp-mount point (like /mnt) on itself,  and see if you
can access the NFS files from the server itself.

I wish I could give more info, but I'm just not up on NFS/CIFS
interactions so much...

You might want to notice I changed the subject -- it might get more
relevant
attention if you remove references to the link stuff.