[Samba] Allow insecure wide links = yes, wide links =yes; but I still can't "see" files from links to NFS mounts using 3.6.15, after upgrading from 2.2.8a

Jordan Verschuer jvsamba007 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 17:50:43 MST 2013

Hi David,

thanks for your concern, we would still like to restore this functionality
though, of being able to access the NFS mounted wide links; like we could
in 2.2.8a.

I only upgraded to 3.6.15 so new Mac users on 10.7+ could connect, but it's
more important that those users who need to access the wide links still can
(instead of having to mount many different NFS mounts separately), so i'll
have to roll back to using 2.2.8a if I can't get this to work in 3.6.15;
which would be a shame.

Do you or others have any advice as to why it's not working properly for us
?

If I use the default options, and set Allow insecure wide links = No [G],
and wide links = No [S], I get the "Access denied" message (as you'd
expect),

however, if I set Allow insecure wise links = Yes [G] and wide links = Yes
[S], I can double click the folder and access it, and even copy files to it,

however like I say, the files then become "hidden", and this is for both PC
and Mac. I can see all the files and newly added/copied files from the
samba server.

So this doesn't sound simply like the many hundreds of "please turn wide
links on" type of posts which I've seen.

Permission for the actual folders and their links haven't changed since
2.2.8, so I can't see what could be wrong but it must be something to do
with this,
and not just the wide link = yes option since I can open the folder and
copy stuff to it without getting an "Access denied" message.

Any ideas??

Thanks everyone.

Cheers,
Jordan