[Samba] Allow insecure wide links = yes, wide links =yes; but I still can't "see" files from links to NFS mounts using 3.6.15, after upgrading from 2.2.8a

Jordan Verschuer jvsamba007 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 23:34:08 MST 2013

Hi friends,

I updated our old sparc Solaris 9 server running samba 2.2.8a to 3.6.15 so
that Mac 10.7+ users could access this file server.

However now we can't see files in folders that are links to NFS mounts from
other servers.

I can access folders/files that are links outside the share but local to
the samba server,

but for links to folders that are mounted to the server via NFS from other
servers you can double click and get into the folder but you can't see the
files, as if they're hidden.

For e.g. my folder that I use is large, so I keep it on a separate server
which is mounted to the samba server via NFS;
          mount  -F  nfs  xraid:/Volumes/Sharing_RAID/Sharing  /raid1

and my folder under this is linked to the samba share folder called
"biograph";
          ln  -s  /raid1/Staff/Jordan  /p3/biograph/Jordan

The configuration/permsissions/ownership for these folders hasn't changed,
and I could access these folders with no problems using 2.2.8a.

I have read many posts about the "allow insecure wide links" and I think I
have set the correct options for this in smb.conf, with allow insecure wide
links = yes, wide links = yes, follow symlinks = yes, unix extensions = yes
[global] and wide links = yes, follow symlinks = yes [share],

and if these were set incorrectly, wouldn't I get an "access denied" type
of message appear rather than just showing no files??

I can even copy files to the linked folder, but they "disappear" or become
hidden after a refresh, and I can see all the linked files via ls on the
samba server, so they are there and the link is ok, and I can open them and
access them fine, for e.g. using more or cat,

it's just they're no longer "visible" via the samba clients, even though
they were under 2.2.8a.

I'm thinking it must be a permission issue that's crept in somehow, but
like I say, the ownership/permissions of the links and source files/folders
hasn't changed. Nor the user/password used to access the share, this is the
same, using smbpasswd backend.

I've copied my testparm results below for the new smb.conf, as well as the
old smb.conf.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks for reading.

Cheers,
Jordan

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[root at hakea:/usr/local/samba]> testparm /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
Load smb config files from /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (256) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
WARNING: The "printer admin" option is deprecated
Processing section "[print$]"
Processing section "[biograph]"
Processing section "[roger]"
Processing section "[X2125-A6]"
Processing section "[wenlf]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

[global]
  server string = Samba Server
  interfaces = eri0, 152.76.10.3/255.255.255.192
  passdb backend = smbpasswd
  os level = 65
  preferred master = Yes
  domain master = Yes
  wins support = Yes
  remote announce = 152.76.10.255/WORKGROUP
  allow insecure wide links = Yes
  idmap config * : range =
  idmap config * : backend = tdb
  admin users = root, roger, ecat
  printer admin = @ntadmin
  wide links = Yes

[print$]
  path = /usr/local/samba/printers
  admin users = roger, root
  write list = @ntadmin, root
  guest ok = Yes

[biograph]
  comment = biograph
  path = /p3/biograph
  valid users = biograph, roger, steve, stefan, ecat, root, lingfeng, jordan
  admin users =
  read only = No

[roger]
  comment = roger
  path = /home/acacia/roger
  valid users = roger, root
  read only = No

[X2125-A6]
  comment = X2125 A6
  path = /var/spool/samba/print
  printable = Yes
  print ok = Yes

[wenlf]
  comment = lingfeng
  path = /home/karri/lingfeng
  valid users = lingfeng
  admin users =
  read only = No
  browseable = No
[root at hakea:/usr/local/samba]>
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OLD 2.2.8a smb.conf
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from libertas.nucmed.rpa.cs.nsw.gov.au (152.76.10.115)
# Date: 2008/10/17 10:57:23

# Global parameters
[global]
  server string = Samba Server
  interfaces = eri0 152.76.10.3/255.255.255.192
  encrypt passwords = Yes
  os level = 65
  preferred master = Yes
  domain master = Yes
  wins support = Yes
  remote announce = 152.76.10.255/WORKGROUP
  admin users = roger,ecat
  printer admin = @ntadmin

[print$]
  path = /usr/local/samba/printers
  admin users = roger,root
  write list = @ntadmin,root
  guest ok = Yes

[biograph]
  comment = biograph
  path = /p3/biograph
  guest account =
  valid users = biograph,roger,steve,stefan,ecat,root
  admin users =
  read only = No

[roger]
  comment = roger