[Samba] 2 Samba 4.1 DCs: demote fails with Python traceback

Fred F frederik.vogelsang at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 13:24:55 MST 2013

Hi,

I have set up two AD DCs (both running Samba 4.1). This is my setup:

dc1.mydomain.lan: The first DC (used for domain provision)
dc2.mydomain.lan: Promoted to AD DC after domain setup

I promoted dc2 using this command:

samba-tool domain join mydomain.lan DC -Uadministrator --realm=mydomain.lan

While the promotion worked without any issues I now want to demote dc2
again. This is what I did:

[root at dc2 ~]# samba-tool domain demote -U administrator
Using dc1.mydomain.lan as partner server for the demotion
Password for [MYDOMAIN\administrator]:
Desactivating inbound replication
Asking partner server dc1.mydomain.lan to synchronize from us
Error while demoting, re-enabling inbound replication
ERROR(<class 'samba.drs_utils.drsException'>): Error while sending a
DsReplicaSync for partion CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=mydomain,DC=lan -
drsException: DsReplicaSync failed (31, 'WERR_GENERAL_FAILURE')
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/samba/netcmd/domain.py", line 647,
in run
    sendDsReplicaSync(drsuapiBind, drsuapi_handle, ntds_guid, str(part),
drsuapi.DRSUAPI_DRS_WRIT_REP)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/samba/drs_utils.py", line 83, in
sendDsReplicaSync
    raise drsException("DsReplicaSync failed %s" % estr)

Am I doing anything wrong or is this a bug?

Thanks,
 Frederik