[Samba] Manually add machine account to domain

Lorenzo Milesi maxxer at ufficyo.com
Fri Dec 6 12:10:15 MST 2013

Hi.
I've changed the user backend of a running samba pdc configuration.
The computers joined to the domain actually exist in /etc/passwd, and I'd like to move them to LDAP.
But if I add them with smbldap-useradd -w MACHINENAME$ they will be created with a new (or empty) password, unknown to the clients which try to connect to samba with their stored in one.

Is there any way to add Computer accounts to LDAP so that I don't need to pass one by one and re-add them to the domain?
/etc/shadow is empty, where else is this password stored?

thanks
Lorenzo Milesi - lorenzo.milesi at yetopen.it

YetOpen S.r.l. - http://www.yetopen.it/