[Samba] What in samba 4.1 prevents a '/' share?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Dec 5 15:53:16 MST 2013

All,

  If the post "Samba 3.6 -> 4.1 change that prevent sharing / - mount error(13)"
makes it to the list, I apologize, but it has been over a day and I have no
indication that the post ever made it to the list.

  The issue is that in versions prior to 4.x, I was able to create a root share
in samba, but now, something prevents it from being mounted. The relevant
smb.conf is:

   security = user
   admin users = david

[config]
   comment = Phoinix Config (Archlinux)
   path = /
   valid users = david
   force user = root
   force group = root
   browseable = no
   writeable = Yes

  With 3.6.6-1 all works as expected. However in 4.1.2-1 a mount error(13) is
received when attempting to mount the share on a remote linux host:

16:07 alchemy:~> sudo mount.cifs //phoinix/config /mnt/phix-cfg -o
username=david,uid=1000,credentials=/home/david/.dcr/mountcfile,noperm
mount error(13): Permission denied

(yes-credentials are correct, all other shares mount fine)

  Was there a change in 4.x that prevents doing this? If so, what?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.