[Samba] Migrate from Samba 4 to Samba 4?

Kevin Latimer klatimer at tolent.co.uk
Thu Dec 5 01:49:16 MST 2013

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply.  Sorry if I've jumped the gun by not wanting to try
and fix "in place", sometimes it just seems easier to start again from a
clean slate.  Also, sorry for the double-email Andrew, forgot to CC the
list - this mail client is not overly list-friendly, I've had to handcraft
the reply below as it doesn't allow bottom-posting...

On Wed, 2013-12-04 at 11:08 +0000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-12-04 at 10:40 +0000, Kevin Latimer wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Does anyone know if there's a Samba 4 to Samba 4 migration process?
>> Sounds weird, but it has a logical reason:
>>
>> I've a several-year-old S4 implementation, from an early Alpha (10 I
>> think?) that hasn't been in the best of shape of late - when S4 4.0.0
>> arrived, I accidentally upgraded using my normal "git
>> pull; ./configure; make; make install" procedure and instead of
>> getting 4.0 I got 4.1pre. I hastily installed the 4.0.0 tarball but I
>> think I've ended up with a broken schema because of it.

> The two trees were not that different at that point, so I don't think
> major harm came from this.

No probs, I just don't have a lot of faith in which schema I *do* have,
as I'm missing the RFC2307 / SFU things that I wanted upgradeprovision
to try to add :-)

>> It's been clunking along okay nontheless with the oddities just
>> needing a little manual intervention now and again but last night I
>> decided to install the 4.1.2 tarball.
>>
>>  I wanted to do an "upgradeprovision --full" as I've been missing the
>> SFU schema and I need to retain some UID consistency. My testing on a
>> snapshot told me you can't run upgradeprovision with more than one DC
>> so last night, I allotted myself a maintenance window and went for it.
>> I demoted all the DC's but I had one that wouldn't demote (this DC is
>> one of the "manual interventions"...). I've tried samba-tool domain
>> demote, ntdsutil metadata cleanup, ADUC, ADSAS but it just won't
>> shift.
>>
>> Running out of time, I decided to upgrade to 4.1.2 on these two
>> remaining DC's anyway, do a fresh install on the other DC's and rejoin
>> them. They upgraded just fine but I can't join any other DC's,
>> samba-tool segfaults after copying the configuration partition.

> That's unfortunate. Can you get us some information on this segfault?

Sure.  I've just tried with a -d6 (a *lot* of output, much more than I
allowed for with my scrollback!) and it segfaults with the following
error at the end:

dsdb_find_nc_root: Finding a valid 'namingContexts' element in the RootDSE failed. Using a temporary list.dsdb_find_nc_root: Finding a valid 'namingContexts' element in the RootDSE failed. Using a temporary list.../source4/dsdb/common/util.c:3116: WARNING: domainFunctionality not setup
Segmentation fault

I've got 20k lines of scrollback I can email to you if you like?  I'm not
sure how much sensitive information might be in there for list posting...

Looking back though, these "Finding a valid 'namingContexts' element in
the RootDSE failed" messages seem to all start around the part the sites and
subnets start to get replicated.

>> My directory seems to be in a bit of a mess (dbcheck only shows two,
>> albeit uncorrectable errors) so I wonder if there's a procedure (like
>> classicupgrade for S3->S4 or vampire for NT4/Windows) to get the users
>> and computers from my current provision into a new, fresh one?

> What are the errors, and have you actually run upgradeprovision or not?
> (We are trying to avoid folks running that tool, except in the extreme
> cases such as an installation of your age, and even then we are trying
> to have dbcheck handle it as much as possible.

Haven't been able to run it, as I can't pare the domain down to a single
DC - I have a "wobbly" DC (by wobbly, I mean it identifies itself in a
"samba-tool drs showrepl" as "0ACNF:9087250e-361c-44b6-8b11-e8cee5d48ab6"
in the server DN name) that just won't demote:

/usr/local/samba/bin/samba-tool domain demote --user=Administrator -d6

fails with:

Changing userControl and container
     drsuapi_DsRemoveDSServer: struct drsuapi_DsRemoveDSServer
        in: struct drsuapi_DsRemoveDSServer
            bind_handle              : *
                bind_handle: struct policy_handle
                    handle_type              : 0x00000000 (0)
                    uuid                     : 84b613ab-3f47-480f-8b70-27af621d5338
            level                    : 0x00000001 (1)
            req                      : *
                req                      : union drsuapi_DsRemoveDSServerRequest(case 1)
                req1: struct drsuapi_DsRemoveDSServerRequest1
                    server_dn                : *
                        server_dn                : 'CN=HO-DC2,CN=Servers,CN=Gateshead,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=tclad,DC=tolent,DC=co,DC=uk'
                    domain_dn                : *
                        domain_dn                : 'DC=tclad,DC=tolent,DC=co,DC=uk'
                    commit                   : 0x00000001 (1)
../librpc/rpc/dcerpc_util.c:140: auth_pad_length 0
     drsuapi_DsRemoveDSServer: struct drsuapi_DsRemoveDSServer
        out: struct drsuapi_DsRemoveDSServer
            level_out                : *
                level_out                : 0x00000001 (1)
            res                      : *
                res                      : union drsuapi_DsRemoveDSServerResult(case 1)
                res1: struct drsuapi_DsRemoveDSServerResult1
                    last_dc_in_domain        : 0x00000000 (0)
            result                   : WERR_GENERAL_FAILURE
Error while demoting, re-enabling inbound replication
Sorting rpmd with attid exception 3 rDN=CN DN=CN=NTDS Settings\0ACNF:9087250e-361c-44b6-8b11-e8cee5d48ab6,CN=HO-DC2,CN=Servers,CN=Gateshead,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=tclad,DC=tolent,DC=co,DC=uk
CN=HO-DC2,OU=Domain Controllers,DC=tclad,DC=tolent,DC=co,DC=uk
ERROR(<class 'samba.drs_utils.drsException'>): Error while sending a removeDsServer - drsException: DsRemoveDSServer failed (31, 'WERR_GENERAL_FAILURE')
  File "/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.6/site-packages/samba/netcmd/domain.py", line 773, in run
    sendRemoveDsServer(drsuapiBind, drsuapi_handle, server_dsa_dn, domain)
  File "/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.6/site-packages/samba/drs_utils.py", line 106, in sendRemoveDsServer
    raise drsException("DsRemoveDSServer failed %s" % estr)

I've tried performing the demote with outbound replication disabled
(a trick I've used before on alpha's when the local AD has become corrupt
in some way and I don't want to replicate the "bad" bits) but no use :-(

>> I'm not bothered about retaining metadata like last login time or
>> password history or such, just enough information to allow users to
>> login without having to rejoin each machine? Losing GPO's aren't the
>> end of the world either, I don't have many.

> If we really had to, we could hack something up via the classicupgrade
> code or similar, but I would really rather not.

> Let's try and fix up your directory as-is.

If you think it's worth saving, I'll start along that route then :-)  Thanks
again Andrew (and everyone else here!).