[Samba] samba4.1.2: Allow cryptography algorithms compatible with Windows NT 4.0

Francesco Malvezzi francesco.malvezzi at unimore.it
Wed Dec 4 02:40:07 MST 2013

Hi all,

while fiddling with VmWare View without being able to join windows7
client to samba4 domain, we stumbled on the following article:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1028164

which says, should we run MS Windows 2008R2 AD, we should enable the
"Allow cryptography algorithms compatible with Windows NT 4.0" registry key.

Am I correct to suppose a samba-4.1.2 PDC emulates a Windows 2008R2 (as
long as cryptography is involved)?

Is there a way (if any) to downgrade the cryptography requirements of a
samba-4.1.2 domain to meet the "Allow cryptography algorithms compatible
with Windows NT 4.0"?

Thank you, really,

Francesco