[Samba] Same home path on multiple servers - how to ?

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Tue Dec 3 10:20:04 MST 2013

On Tue, 2013-12-03 at 17:57 +0100, Götz Reinicke - IT Koordinator wrote:

> Error verifying signature: parse
> error
> --------------ms060206010809050303050708
>
> Am 03.12.13 17:47, schrieb steve:
> > On Tue, 2013-12-03 at 17:13 +0100, G=C3=B6tz Reinicke - IT Koordinator =
> wrote:
>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have a samba 3.6 PDC with ldap backend.
> >>
> >> Now I'd like to add an other storage samba server which uses the same
> >> home directory structure as the PDC.
> >>
> >> I have configured the new server using winbind, so the users can log i=
> >> with the password stored in ldap.
> >>
> >> But the home directory stored in ldap is not used; the new server
> >> searches in /home/UID or /home/DOMAIN/uid.
> >>
> >> Any hints? Or suggestions?
> >=20
> > Hi
> > Is the home directory you want stored in ldap? If so, why not use sssd
> > or nss-ldapd to pull it from ldap rather than relying on the defaults i=
> > Samba? Don't forget to change nsswitch.conf accordingly.
>
> Hi,
>
> yes, the home directory is stored in ldap. I thought (dont ask my why)
> not using sssd or nss-ldapd would be more simple in that case.
>
> Doing "all" with winbind/samba was my hope.

If you're happier with winbind, then maybe that will work too. I only
mention my preferences because I know that they work and their configs
are simple. At least they are against the AD ldap in Samba4 e.g. here
are the changed AD mappings for ldapd:

map     passwd  uid                sAMAccountName
map     passwd  homeDirectory      unixHomeDirectory
map     passwd  gecos              displayName

I think that with openldap, it's just wysiwyg. Nothing need be remapped
unless you have some unusual attributes in ur ldap.
HTH
Steve