[Samba] Samba 4 and bad lockout attempts

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri Aug 30 05:42:53 MDT 2013

Some of these rules are bit stupid, sorry mean.. outdated.
A virus won't crack your password, but captures it with keyloggers.
solution for that is dont install java, dont install acrobat flash and acrobat reader.
Dont work as Administrator.. with this your 99.999999999999999 safe.  ;-)

If i look into this.
>? temporary initial password, to be modified upon first connection,
= Ok
>? password chosen by the user and known only by him/her,
=Ok
>? at least 8 characters,
= if only characters, i suggest at least 12-14.
look here and test some passwords.
http://www.passwordmeter.com/

for example.
M1j0wnpw  gives strong, 65% score   ( 8 characters )
ThisIsMyOwnPassword, also strong, but 76 % score 19 characters.
ThisIsMyOwnPassword! , very strong 100% score.  20 characters.
Which one can you remember the best ;-) teach this to your users. ( i do )

My own password had 10 characters , is very strong and scores 92%
and this is my "simple" password. My root passwords are 20+ character, cyfer, letter, symbols Caps/NoCaps.
look here https://howsecureismypassword.net/ and test some.
and remember it a guideline and thay talk about 1 desktop pc, think about what a cluster of servers can rehash.

>? renewed at least every three months (90 days),
=OK
>? no reuse of previous passwords (at least the last 10).
Dont care about this because users wil create..
Welkom01
Welkom02
Welkom03
Welkom04
etc..
so a check on this would be nice also if you want it really secure.

>? suspension after 5 incorrect password entries (automatic or manual
>unlocking after a certain period)
but ,, , did you try and looked into..
net pwsettings show
and with RATS you can set the windows policies for your passwords also.

.. there is more info about this online ;-)

Best regards,

Louis